The School of Atmospheric Sciences (SAS) at Nanjing University, founded in 1924, is one of the earliest atmospheric sciences disciplines established in China. Meteorology and atmospheric sciences in SAS are the national key discipline and the national double first-class discipline respectively, and SAS has ranked among the best Chinese meteorology departments in various discipline assessments and rankings. At present, the school has a high-level research team, including 3 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2 Cheung Kong Scholars of Ministry of Education (MOE), 5 winners of National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) fund for Distinguished Young Scholars, and 11 winners of the National Natural Science Foundation of China for Excellent Young Scientists.
SAS focuses on international scientific frontiers and serves grand national needs, and has actively engaged in high-level scientific research and top-notch talents cultivation. It is home to the Key Laboratory for Mesoscale Severe Weather of Ministry of Education (LMSWE), the Joint International Research Laboratory of Atmospheric and Earth System Sciences, the Jiangsu Provincial Collaborative Innovation Center for Climate Change, CMA-NJU Joint Laboratory for Climate Prediction Studies, and the Station for Observing Regional Processes of the Earth System (SORPES). SAS has established long-term partnerships with world-class universities and institutes, and has enjoyed international reputation.
The School of Atmospheric Sciences at Nanjing University now invites applications for new faculty positions. There are vacancies for 4 tenure-track assistant professors and 2 tenure-track associate professors this year. The applicants from high-level talents with exceptionally outstanding records are also accepted and the positions will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis. The candidates are expected to teach and research in the following areas:
(1) Severe Weather
(2) Climate Dynamics and the Climate System
(3) Atmospheric Boundary Layer and Urban Meteorology
(4) Atmospheric Chemistry
(5) Atmospheric Sounding
(6) Earth System Modelling
(7) Artificial Intelligence and Big Data in Meteorology
(8) Climate Change Impact Assessment and Adaptation
(1) Compliance with law and regulations of the People's Republic of China, devoted to teaching and research.
(2) Good professional ethics, work diligently, no criminal record, and no record of violating teaching ethics and academic ethics.
(3) Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences or related disciplines, with study and working experience in first-class research institutions with a track record of academic excellence. For tenure-track assistant professors, at least two years of research experiences after PhD graduation; for tenure-track associate professors, at least four years of research experiences after PhD graduation (this requirement may be relaxed for candidates with exceptional quantification).
(4) Excellent teaching abilities, competent in the core basic courses and cutting-edging courses, mastering good teaching methods, and strong oral communication skills.
(5) Scientific research achievements visibility and future development potential: systematic accumulation of research experiences in relevant research disciplines, and a track record of innovation research with international impact; a clear vision for future research and great academic potential.
4. Application Materials
(1) Application letter (with clear declaration of research interests and specific position)
(2) Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publication)
(3) Major research achievements and their novelty
(4) Research plan
(5) Three recommendation letters (referees including the PhD supervisor and postdoctoral supervisor)
(6) Teaching statement
5. Compensation Package and Support
(1) Employment with reference to staffing of government affiliated institutions
(2) Competitive Annual Salary
(3) Start-up funding for scientific research
(4) Qualification for graduate enrollment
(5) Turnover apartment, housing subsidies, and eligible for purchasing considerable discounted commercial housing provided by the university
(6) Assistance in children enrollment in primary and secondary schools
6. Application Deadline
October 31st, 2022
The application period will be extended appropriately if the number of the applicants for single postition is relatively small.
Results are estimated to be released by the end of January 2023.
7. Contact information
Tel: 86-25-89682575 (Mr. Wang)